View unanswered posts
View active topics
It is currently Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:07 pm

Thegreatgig
Post  Post subject: First environment rendered with Furryball!!  |  Posted: Fri May 13, 2016 6:31 pm

Just thought I'd drop by and show my environment I've been working on lately for a short film I'm doing.

I'm also curious if there's a way to do volumetric lights that has faster results than using a fluid container. I've searched high and low through the forums and any other place to see how I can make it quicker, but I've not been able to find anything helpful. Or if there's a setting that you know of that makes it go really slow. Basically, the scene renders out in about 15-16 minutes without the fluid container, but when it's in the scene it takes the render up to about an hour and a half. I originally had it interacting with all of the lights in the scene, and that render took about 6.5 hours, but then I linked it to only the distant light coming through the ceiling, which took it down to 1.5 hours. But that still seems like quite the excessive jump, going from 15 minutes to 1.5 hours. I put all the settings I could think of to the lowest quality, and it didn't really change the time at all. Even just adding the container into the scene makes it almost unbearable to move around in the viewport, even with just viewport 2.0 loaded. But If I do it without Furryball loaded, I can move around the scene with ease.

Attachments:
DojoRender_7.jpg
DojoRender_7.jpg [ 581.23 KiB | Viewed 7668 times ]
Jan_Tomanek
Post  Post subject: Re: First environment rendered with Furryball!!  |  Posted: Sat May 14, 2016 6:35 pm

Nice image, but your time are SCARRY - :shock:
What GPU do you have? (But I suppose something fast).

On other hand volumetric is really very expensive for rendertime, and if you have it over all scene, it has to be killer.

What to try Fog (In Camera very fast faked effect?)

Or you can cheat some details in your fluids - specially for shadows.
In Fluid settings there is Quality reduction and also reduction for shadow quality. - 10-20% will be enough and time will be just 10-20% of your time.

All the Best
Jan

Thegreatgig
Post  Post subject: Re: First environment rendered with Furryball!!  |  Posted: Sat May 14, 2016 10:27 pm

haha I know, I wasn't a big fan of the render times as well! Thanks for your compliment on the image! I'm glad you like it! For this render I was using 2 980 tie's and a 970. My benchmark for that configuration was at 1.96x.

Ya, I actually probably have the container a bit larger than it needs to be. I guess I didn't think about that. I could try scaling it down, because I only need it for the light rays that come through that part of the roof, but I have it being as large as the entire building.

I thought about using the camera environment fog, but from what I could see, it only faded based on distance? Is that correct? I will be using that for the short film for certain parts, but this scene should have light rays coming through the roof, and my understanding is that the camera environment fog wouldn't provide that.

I'll try out those recommendations for the shadow quality. Thanks!