View unanswered posts
View active topics
It is currently Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:20 am

*  Forum rules
Dear users,
we are sorry to inform you, that we had to end development of our FurryBall after almost ten years!
We will give FurryBall for free to all users, but without any Maintenace and Support.
Because we have to keep our servers working, we have set the symbolic price 29,- EUR per year.
Hope you will understand us and keep using FurryBall if it fits you.
Thanks for all those nice years with GPU rendering.
Your FurryBall team

johan_laurent
Post  Post subject: Need help with crashes  |  Posted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:17 pm

Hi Iv have tried furryball RT now for almost a year without actually beeing able to create anything. I can work with the program for about 3-15 min then it crashes. Doesnt matter really if it is a heavy scene or I I just testing stuff, with just a plane and a few lights. I have somehow tried to reduce the crashes when not working with the viewport rendferer, but it still accures freequently. I dont know If its b/c of the graphics card or not. The prev versions have worked fine but not this one. Dont know if I should write here or private PM. (For other readers I dont want to flame the software or company since they do a great job and always try to help) It could be my comp set up but I really ned help Its been so frustrating, could someone plz help and communivate with me ( Jan ? :)

Jan_Tomanek
Post  Post subject: Re: Need help with crashes  |  Posted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:56 am

Hi Johan,

here it's fine, because we all guys see this history and can help you.
So at the fisrt please start with this, because we need more data...

Please the first try this simple steps: http://goo.gl/forms/075IC3TDpX

Be sure that you use the latest graphics card drivers before you post your problem.
Please follow these steps for submitting your problems to FurryBall forum - it will help faster solve your problem.
1) Send your System Info - Maya version, FurryBall version, graphics cards, CPU, RAM etc.
2) Send whole log from Maya output window
3) Describe deeply your problem. If your FurryBall STOPPED rendering, describe what was changed in your computer (new hardware, new software installation)
4) You can also send simple example (picture or scene)
Also be sure that you read FAQ

All the Best
Jan

johan_laurent
Post  Post subject: Re: Need help with crashes  |  Posted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:56 pm

Hi the crashes have haunted me along time. I wrote a thread about it some time ago -> viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5239

Iv tried alot of things and have found some workaround (the best -> autosave :( another is not to use the viewport rendering and only render from renderview, however this kind of disables FB RT best feature and it still crashes but less)
I have also send you guys scenes and crash logs.

What it feels like is that the program and memory spikes and when it spikes maya crashes.

The weired thing is that I can have a scene with just a plane and spehere and try out different things and only use maybe 10% of gpu memory, then suddenly it crashes.
In other cases I have a really heavy scene with 40 lights and textures and using about 90% of GPu and can work with it ( for about the same amount of time -15 min - 1 hour before it crashes)

As we have discussed earlier it could be cause of my video cards gtx 780 ti with 3gig memory, The other reasson could be some kind of memory leak that accure on my comp rig only and on also not realated t oa specific scene.

What I will try to do is get rid of my 2 GTX 780 ti and get one gtx 1080 ti 11gig video card update maya to 2017.

However it feels really bad. :( First when FB RT came out I was so excited I saved up cash and bought what was I thought was the best gpu cards ( You guys also rated them 4/5 stars)

Atr the moment I have tried to work on different projects and I cant get my mind and soul to finnish them cause of crashes, and I get fed up and emotionly tired.

Jan_Tomanek
Post  Post subject: Re: Need help with crashes  |  Posted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:41 pm

So Johan,

1) 780 will never work with 1080 (different Cuda) - we also not recommend combine different GPUs at all.
2) 780 has just 3 GB... so it's not so much for raytrace for huge scene. (how much memory you have free, when it crashes?)
3) Yo are right 4/5 stars, but as it's written (fast as Titan, but just 3 GB) / But is't little bit old.. we have to update it... :?

There is also possible that card has some hardware failure in memory (It also happened to us in the past)
Try the same scene with 1 and after with the second card, if it crash in boths cases.

All the Best
Jan

johan_laurent
Post  Post subject: Re: Need help with crashes  |  Posted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:47 pm

Hi Jan

(1) 780 will never work with 1080 (different Cuda) - we also not recommend combine different GPUs at all.9
: I know they dont work togehter I was thinking of using only one 1080 11gig, hope it works better than 2 780 3gig

2) 780 has just 3 GB... so it's not so much for raytrace for huge scene. (how much memory you have free, when it crashes?)
:The thing is that it doesnt matter if I have 1600 memory free or if I only have 50 memory free, sudenly it just crashes ? Thats whats really bothering me .. If I knew I was maxing the scene adn could understand why it was crashing it would be so much easier

What it seems is that the card might have some hardware failures in memory ? Can I test this somehow ? besides in the program :

(Try the same scene with 1 and after with the second card, if it crash in boths cases.)
The thing is that the crashes apear randomly not just in a specifik scene so its hard to to determine when and how. ( I will prob do this when I ahve the stamina and time though )

My solution as said before is to buy a single gtx 1080 and run FB with that- Would u concider this a good idea?
and then use one gtx 780 for background stuff windows etc.. however it would be nice to somehow test which one of the cards that is bugging.
(also is it possible to use oen card for background stuff and one for FB RT?)

Jan_Tomanek
Post  Post subject: Re: Need help with crashes  |  Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:07 am

Quote:
What it seems is that the card might have some hardware failures in memory ? Can I test this somehow ? besides in the program :

There can be the hardware problem with the GPU. For example some bug in memory. Like on HDD. If you reach the bad sector, it crash. This is I asked to test the both cards separate. Because if there is a problem on one card, it of course crash the both system.

Quote:
My solution as said before is to buy a single gtx 1080 and run FB with that- Would u concider this a good idea?
and then use one gtx 780 for background stuff windows etc.. however it would be nice to somehow test which one of the cards that is bugging.
(also is it possible to use oen card for background stuff and one for FB RT?)

Yes, definitely - 11gb is MUCH better than 3... 8-)
Yes, you can run Windows on for example 780 (like Windows primary GPU) and for rendering select your 1080.

All the Best
Jan