View unanswered posts
View active topics
It is currently Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:42 am

*  Forum rules
Dear users,
we are sorry to inform you, that we had to end development of our FurryBall after almost ten years!
We will give FurryBall for free to all users, but without any Maintenace and Support.
Because we have to keep our servers working, we have set the symbolic price 29,- EUR per year.
Hope you will understand us and keep using FurryBall if it fits you.
Thanks for all those nice years with GPU rendering.
Your FurryBall team

sparo
Post  Post subject: texture issue  |  Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:47 pm

I'm having an issue with textures appearing in maya default render. They were appearing with negative color, and that goes away when I refresh the perspective view. (still not a definite solution, but it works for now). However, the texture looks very pixelated. I really need to figure out a solution, because my characters facial features are texture based, not geometry. I need to see them clearly for animation.

This is with maya textures, PNG images assigned to color.

Attachment:
texture1.jpg
texture1.jpg [ 994.21 KiB | Viewed 10318 times ]

This is with the blinn material replaced with furryball material, texture assigned to color. I also tried TIFF instead of PNG, but it still looks the same.

Attachment:
texture2.jpg
texture2.jpg [ 903.69 KiB | Viewed 10318 times ]

Jan_Tomanek
Post  Post subject: Re: texture issue  |  Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:20 pm

This is more question to Autodesk, not to FurryBall how they represent PNG or TIFF in their viewport renderer... ;-) We can't edit this so much in default Maya viewport...

You can try Viewport 2.0 it's default viewport from Maya 2015 or use FurryBall with 1 ray it will be very fast.

All the Best
Jan

Jan_Smejkal
Post  Post subject: Re: texture issue  |  Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:07 pm

Hi,
you can control texture resolution for Maya viewport in Maya Settings.

Attachments:
textures.png
textures.png [ 20.04 KiB | Viewed 10311 times ]
ymangolds
Post  Post subject: Re: texture issue  |  Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:48 pm

The solution we have for this (we also have scenes that require textures to be viewable in order to animate the scene) is by using proxy references:
  1. When an asset (general production asset, not necessarily a Maya 'asset encapsulation,' though it can be which helps keep things tidy and is recommended) gets 'mastered' several files get created (of which the file names never change so other scenes that reference it always point to the latest version).
  2. First file that's created is the 'master' which is more or less the same as the WIP (work in progress) version after some misc scripts are run on it to optimize the scene and uses Fb materials/lights. This file is meant for final rendering.
  3. Next file that's created is the 'standard', (located in the same place as the master and has the same name except '_standard' appended to the file name). This file has all Fb materials and lights converted to normal ones (materials are converted to blinns and lights converted to normal maya lights) using a script I wrote which can be found at http://aaa-studio.cz/furryballforum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5025. This file is intended for animation and playblast recordings. Note that it is very important that the DAG path (object's name and all its parent's object names and namespaces) of all objects that are used for animation (like character controls) are exactly the same as they are in the master file.
  4. Next file that's created is the 'pxy' (proxy), which runs polygon reduction stuff on mesh objects to make them low resolution. This file is intended for simulations (where things need to collide or interact with things like particles and fluids), but can also be useful for animators.
  5. For non deform-able assets (things like props, buildings, terrain, etc) we also create a 'gpu' file which has the scene exported as a gpu cache, and a 'bbox' file which converts all objects to bounding boxes. These can be extremely helpful for complex/heavy scenes.
Then, in shot scenes, assets get referenced into it using Maya file references (can also use maya scene assemblies using the same files above but this requires additional steps and can be kind of buggy):
  1. First the 'master' gets referenced and the reference node's tag is set to 'master'
  2. Then all the other files get added to that reference node as proxies. See http://download.autodesk.com/global/docs/maya2014/en_us/index.html
This way the assets can be switched to the different versions easily and they'll keep all the animation done on them. For example: An animator can open a shot/scene, switch characters to the 'standard' or 'pxy' version, and background/other assets to 'gpu' version. Then when animation is done, just need to switch everything to the 'master' version and render!

Although all this sounds tedious and complicated, we have the entire process automated (modelers only have to hit a 'master' button, animators only have to select an asset from our custom GUI and hit 'reference', and we have buttons to easily switch proxies on selected (or all) references.

sparo
Post  Post subject: Re: texture issue  |  Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:59 am

I will play around with using viewport 2.0 as an alternative for animation purposes.

ymangolds; thank you for that thorough rundown on your asset usage. I was thinking of creating a system of interchanging the textures (initially I thought maybe a script), depending on the need (animation or rendering). I never thought of interchanging assets. It is nice to see that has worked for someone else. Thanks!