View unanswered posts
View active topics
It is currently Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:29 pm

*  Forum rules
Dear users,
we are sorry to inform you, that we had to end development of our FurryBall after almost ten years!
We will give FurryBall for free to all users, but without any Maintenace and Support.
Because we have to keep our servers working, we have set the symbolic price 29,- EUR per year.
Hope you will understand us and keep using FurryBall if it fits you.
Thanks for all those nice years with GPU rendering.
Your FurryBall team

sparo
Post  Post subject: Re: alpha mask blend issue  |  Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:37 pm

Thank you very much! I tried using a TIFF and it worked great.
I will try to make the connection of the PNG as you suggested.
Thank you.

sparo
Post  Post subject: Re: alpha mask blend issue  |  Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:17 am

Sorry, but I'm having another issue with transparency, so I thought I'd post it here.

This time, I have no file connected to the furryball material. It is only the material with the color changed to blue. I have the transparency animated to slowly fade off. It looks fine in the render, but when I composite, the alpha channel of the slowly fading object is solid. I am rendering the character with transparent background to be composited into a live action scene, so I need the alpha channel to fade out with the transparency.

Here is the maya scene. As you can see, the largest ring is completely transparent.

Attachment:
transp_defaultQR.jpg
transp_defaultQR.jpg [ 998.7 KiB | Viewed 7094 times ]

The furryball render looks fine. I added a checker background to show it is transparent. The final render will have no background, for compositing.

Attachment:
transp_renderFB.jpg
transp_renderFB.jpg [ 797.46 KiB | Viewed 7094 times ]

But the alpha has all 3 rings still solid.

Attachment:
transp_alpha.jpg
transp_alpha.jpg [ 649.21 KiB | Viewed 7094 times ]

I feel like it is a simple solution, but I can't figure it out. I tried animating the alpha, but it snaps from on to off at the half way point. I tried animating the transparency color, but that made the object not transparent at all.

Jan_Smejkal
Post  Post subject: Re: alpha mask blend issue  |  Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:28 am

Hi,
uncheck Solid Alpha attribute in FurryBall material under Transparency->Advanced Parameters section.

ymangolds
Post  Post subject: Re: alpha mask blend issue  |  Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:41 pm

Might also be able to do it with a matte pass by animating the matte's alpha... though that might not work if you have overlapping objects that are fading out using different timings.

sparo
Post  Post subject: Re: alpha mask blend issue  |  Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:56 pm

Ok, I went into advanced parameters and checked off solid alpha. I am getting a new issue.

The furryball render shows the transparent object as white as it becomes transparent. It is as if only the color is fading away from blue to white.

Attachment:
transp2_renderFB.jpg
transp2_renderFB.jpg [ 314.24 KiB | Viewed 7076 times ]

The alpha, however, looks like it is working properly

Attachment:
transp2_alpha.jpg
transp2_alpha.jpg [ 419.33 KiB | Viewed 7076 times ]

But the image still cannot be composited, because the object in the furryball render itself is still there (just white now).

sparo
Post  Post subject: Re: alpha mask blend issue  |  Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:19 pm

I figured it out. I had an environment map, and needed to turn down the transparency weight to 0.