View unanswered posts
View active topics
It is currently Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:04 pm

*  Forum rules
Dear users,
we are sorry to inform you, that we had to end development of our FurryBall after almost ten years!
We will give FurryBall for free to all users, but without any Maintenace and Support.
Because we have to keep our servers working, we have set the symbolic price 29,- EUR per year.
Hope you will understand us and keep using FurryBall if it fits you.
Thanks for all those nice years with GPU rendering.
Your FurryBall team

ymangolds
Post  Post subject: Request: Allow file textures for Matte color and opacity  |  Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:16 am

Although it's currently possible to plug a texture into a FB material's matte color and matte opacity, it gets ignored when rendering matte passes.

Now that I've been compositing FB renders over non-FB renders, I've found the matte pass to be invaluable. What's worked really well is using the script I made ( http://aaa-studio.cz/furryballforum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5179 ) to set colors to major objects (like road = red, vehicles = blue, etc), then make all FB objects have an opacity of 1 and shadow catchers an opacity of 0. This allows me to merge the FB renders on-top of the Vue renders using the matte's alpha channel, then color correct certain FB elements (like the road) individually (shadows that get cast onto Vue elements are handled separately but also use the Matte pass). If I were able to assign a texture to the matte opacity, I could feather off the edges of the road so that it would blend into the Vue terrain very smoothly, very easily. As it stands, I'm not sure how to do that without resorting to using transparency on the road (which I'd strongly rather not do).

Another example where a file texture for Matte opacity would be super useful is a scene that takes place inside the cab of a truck. In the scene the driver sees a large helicopter land close by which causes a small dust storm around the truck. The interior and Exterior of the truck need to be handled separately since no dust goes inside the truck, and it's not as simple as hiding the windows of the truck and making the matte opacity of the truck 1 and everything else 0, because there are elements of the truck outside the window that are visible (like the mirrors), and the windows themselves are dirty (so not completely transparent). Using a file for the matte opacity would allow for the alpha channel of the matte pass to separate the interior and exterior of the truck perfectly (including the dirt patterns on the windows).

Although I have no immediate use for using a file texture for the matte color, I can imagine how useful that could be, and would allow compositors to achieve things that would be extremely difficult otherwise. :ugeek:

Jan_Smejkal
Post  Post subject: Re: Request: Allow file textures for Matte color and opacity  |  Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:29 am

We can add this into next release.

ymangolds
Post  Post subject: Re: Request: Allow file textures for Matte color and opacity  |  Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:38 am

Thanks, much appreciated :mrgreen:

Jan_Smejkal
Post  Post subject: Re: Request: Allow file textures for Matte color and opacity  |  Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:24 pm

We added it in today release.
One note about today release: We changed displacement from R channel of texture to using Alpha channel (also support Alpha is Luminance checkbox).