View unanswered posts
View active topics
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:59 pm

PixelMango
Post  Post subject: Modo plugin?  |  Posted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:38 pm

Just wanted to ask about the prospect of a Modo plugin. I realize others have asked for a Blender plugin, and I agree that most Blender users would not feel a need for Furryball when they have Cycles built in, for free. However, when it comes to Modo, they have no native GPU engine, and the only GPU based 3rd party render is Octane. Furryball's current pricing is roughly half of Octane's and for that reason alone, Furryball would be the most appealing GPU option among that community. Especially if you add in your own hair/fur utility and shader, to make it even more unique.

Why Modo? Because Autodesk's move to subscription only + their move to kill Softimage, has a lot of people, like me, migrating away from AD software. I recently chose Modo, because it has become a well-rounded 3D app, and now has arguably the best modeling toolset on the market. Then you have the fact that it is owned by the Foundry, so it will continue to grow at a fairly rapid pace.

The 3ds Max, Maya and C4D markets might be bigger, but there is more competition. Furryball, at it's current pricepoint and license policy (works with other apps you support), would make it a big hit, in my opinion. Half the price of the other 2 third party plugins, and you have to purchase additional plugins to use those renderers with other apps. VRay also requires purchase of additional render nodes.

Jan_Tomanek
Post  Post subject: Re: Modo plugin?  |  Posted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:52 am

Hi,
Thanks for suggestion, you are right, but we not planning MODO at the moment. Sorry.

All the Best
Jan