View unanswered posts
View active topics
It is currently Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:24 pm

*  Forum rules
How to submit your problem
Be sure that you use the latest graphics card drivers before you post your problem.
Be sure that all benchmarks proceeded without errors.
Please follow these steps for submitting your problems to FurryBall forum - it will help faster solve your problem.
1) Send System Info from Error Reporting from FurryBall standalone application (under menu Help->Error reporting)
2) If benchmark failed, send your Log from FurryBall standalone application (under menu Help->Logs)
3) Describe deeply your problem. If your FurryBall STOPPED rendering, describe what was changed in your computer (new hardware, new software installation)
4) You can also send simple example (picture or scene)
Also be sure that you readed FAQ

MarioBag
Post  Post subject: Question about Multiple GPUs for render.  |  Posted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:39 pm

Hello Furryball community, I am a new user and I have some questions.

I have FurryBall 4.8.3609 and use 3Ds Max 2015.

1.- How can I select which GPU to use inside 3Ds Max ?

2.- Does furryball renderer allows you to use multiple Nvidia NON SLI cards for rasterization? If I open Furryball standalone, I just seem to be able to select one at time.

3.- I have a weird issue, I have in my system an Nvidia Tesla m2090 that was used before for raytracing. However, since I install a new GTX Titan X, furryball does not recognizes the Tesla card anymore. My system recognizes, in both the device manager and Nvidia control panel, that I have both the Titan and Tesla. Moreover, other GPU renderers are able to use and detect both cards. If I use a GTX 780 furryball detects the Tesla cars without problem but not with the Titan X. (I have the latest Nvidia drivers and latest Furryball version).

Thanks for your time, I am looking forward to hear from you.

King Regards,
Mario Bagnoli

Jan_Smejkal
Post  Post subject: Re: Question about Multiple GPUs for render.  |  Posted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:58 pm

Hi,
1) Only in standalone application you can select graphics card for FurryBall (this card will be used also in 3DS Max).
2) Multiple cards are allowed only for raytracing features, not rasterization.
3) FurryBall is based on nVidia Optix and this is in OptiX documentation:
Quote:
All GPUs used by OptiX must be of the same MAJOR compute capability, such as compute capability 3.x or 5.x, and
may only differ in minor compute capability by 0.2. OptiX will automatically select the set of GPUs of the highest
major compute capability and only use those. For example, in a system with a GeForce GTX 460 (compute 2.1) and
a GeForce GTX 480 (compute 2.0), both will be used, but in a system with a Quadro 6000 (compute 2.0) and a
Quadro M6000 (compute 5.2) only the compute 5.2 device would be selected.

(see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CUDA for determining compute capabilities of your graphics cards)

MarioBag
Post  Post subject: Re: Question about Multiple GPUs for render.  |  Posted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:53 pm

Thanks Jan_Smejkal ,

That was a fast and good answer.

MarioBag
Post  Post subject: Re: Question about Multiple GPUs for render.  |  Posted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:31 pm

Hello again. Sorry for re-open this topic but I am still trying to understand how Furryball detects the available gpus.

This is my rig :

2 Titan X , 1 Quadro 2000 and 1 GTX 780. Once again I have several questions.

1.- How can I make furryball detects both of the Titan X for raytracing? . I tried by enabling and disabling the SLI and non of those configurations allows me to see both Titans for raytracing.

2.- If I enable SLI on the Titans, Furryball detects 1 Titan X and the Quadro 2000 for Raytracing . If I disable SLI, Furryball detects 1 Titan and the GeForce 780. (Does not detect the Quadro 2000 anymore). According to the information provided by Jan_Smejkal , Furryball will only work with cards that only differ by 0.2 on the minor compute capability (cc). How come it detects both the Titan X (cc 5.2 ) and the Quadro 2000(cc 2.1) ? And why it is not detecting the 3 of them at the same time : Titan (5.2), GF 780 (3.5) and Quadro 2000 (2.1) ?

3.- How shall I use the most powerfull card ( In this case the Titan X) : As rasterization or raytracing?

4.- If I manage to make Furryball to detect both Titan X and Quadro 2000 (I still don't know how), despite their huge difference in compute capability, there must be a way to use my Tesla m2090 (faste clock and core speed, bigger vram and 4x more cuda cores) next to the Titans.

5.- Is it worth it to use (If i manage to) 2x Titans + 780 + Tesla m2090 ? (Or at least the 2x Titans with my 780).

Thanks for your time and sorry for the long post.

Cheers,
Mario

Jan_Tomanek
Post  Post subject: Re: Question about Multiple GPUs for render.  |  Posted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:24 am

I'm afraid you will not do it - this is why is everywhere (same as on our Web) recommended to use the SAME GPUS.
Even you will make it working, EXTRA SLOW QUADRO 2000, will wait for 10x faster Titan.

Your image will be in render splited for example on 4 tiles. 2 tiles will make Titan and the rest 2 you slow cars.
The first 2 tiles will be rendered in 2 second, but other 2 tiles will render 20 seconds!! So your Titan will wait 18 seconds and do nothing!!!
Your total render time will be 20 second. It mean MUCH SLOWER, than you use only 2 TITANS. Only 2 TITANS will make this scene in 4 seconds. 2x2sec.
And BTW, your total memory will be equal your the worst GPU... ;-(
So NOT combine old and new GPUS!!
http://furryball.aaa-studio.eu/aboutFur ... marks.html

All the Best
Jan

Jan_Smejkal
Post  Post subject: Re: Question about Multiple GPUs for render.  |  Posted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:25 am

Try to enable only expected cards in nvidia drivers (nvidia control panel).

Attachments:
settingsGPU.png
settingsGPU.png [ 105.92 KiB | Viewed 12615 times ]